As the number of big trucks on the road increases, so do the instances of trucking accidents. Because of their large size in comparison to passenger vehicles, trucking accidents can cause a devastating amount of damage. In addition to significant property damage, there is the high likelihood of serious, even fatal, injuries after a truck accident.
While some trucking accidents occur due to bad weather, poor road conditions or defective parts, many trucking accidents in California are caused by truck driver error.
Errors That Cause Trucking Accidents
A commercial truck driver must follow the same traffic laws as any other driver. Additionally, they are subject to a number of state and federal regulations designed to reduce the risks of trucking accidents. Some of these regulations address:
- What licensing and certifications a driver requires
- What training a driver requires
- The driver’s background and driving record
- The maximum number of hours a driver can spend behind the wheel
- The maximum weight of the truck and rig before and after cargo
- Drug and alcohol screenings
Most truck drivers are highly trained and licensed professionals who follow federal and state safety regulations. However, there is currently a shortage of qualified drivers, so some trucking companies sometimes play fast and loose with the rules when it comes to hiring drivers. In their desire to get vehicles out on the road, they may decide to hire drivers without the best records or training. Driving long hours to meet tight schedules can cause some truck drivers to make errors in judgement that can have tragic consequences.
Truck driver errors that can lead to accidents include:
- Failure to watch blind spots
- Improper trailer attachment
- Driver fatigue
- Driver distractions
- Impaired driving
Proving Truck Driver Error Was Responsible For Your Accident
If you were injured in a trucking accident that was caused by driver error, speak with a Manhattan Beach truck accident attorney familiar with federal and state trucking regulations as well as California state laws. You are entitled to compensation for the damages caused by your injuries after a truck accident, but obtaining this compensation can sometimes be a challenge.
In most cases, the trucking company that employed the driver is legally responsible for the driver’s actions. Trucking companies are notorious for going to extreme lengths to avoid financial responsibility for the negligent actions of their employees. You need a lawyer that isn’t afraid to take on the trucking companies, their lawyers and their insurers.
That why it’s so important to hire an experienced Manhattan Beach truck accident attorney as soon as possible after your accident. You need an attorney with the skills, knowledge and resources to investigate the accident and uncover the evidence that will be crucial to proving your claim. This includes:
- Investigating the crash scene
- Interviewing witnesses, law enforcement and first responders
- Determining if the driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Recovering information from the truck’s “black box” recorder
- Examining the driver’s Driver Qualification File, a document every trucking company is required to maintain for every driver they employ. The DQF contains important information about the driver, including their employment history, certifications, and driving records.
- Obtaining any other relevant records from the trucking company
Speak to a Manhattan Beach Truck Accident Attorney Today
The Manhattan Beach 18 wheeler accident attorneys at Dinsmore & Sandelmann LLP have the know-how and dedication to thoroughly investigate your truck accident to determine who was at fault. We aren’t afraid to take on the trucking companies and their insurance companies to get you the compensation you deserve.
Depending on your case, we may be able to get substantial damage awards for your pain and suffering, medical costs, lost wages and future expenses related to your injury. We have an impressive record for successfully obtaining large cash settlements for clients who have been injured in truck collisions and other accidents.
Call Dinsmore & Sandelmann today to schedule a free consultation with one of our outstanding Manhattan Beach personal injury attorneys.