As leading Manhattan Beach auto accident attorneys, the law offices of Dinsmore & Sandelmann have represented many clients who have been injured in auto accidents. We know how the actions a driver takes immediately following an accident can have a big impact on their cases.
Don’t fool yourself into thinking you won’t be involved in an auto accident. A car accident can happen to any driver at any time, no matter how safe they are behind the wheel. Smart drivers realize this and should know what to do after an auto accident.
Protect Yourself and Your Rights after a Manhattan Beach Auto Accident
To help our readers protect themselves and their rights, we’d like to share a few of the things you should do after a car accident, as well as some of the things they shouldn’t do:
Here’s what you should DO:
- First, make sure everyone involved, including yourself, gets medical attention. Call 911 and render whatever aid you can to the victims. Just because you feel okay after an accident doesn’t mean you haven’t received any injuries. Even serious injuries may take a while to make themselves evident.
- Contact the Police. They can investigate the cause of the accident as well as who was at fault. They can issue tickets and make arrests, if necessary. Their accident report will be vital in proving who was liable in the accident.
- Gather and exchange information. Exchange names, drivers’ license numbers, contact information and insurance information with the other driver(s). Write down license plate numbers and note the make, model and year of every vehicle involved.
- Get the names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Try to collect as much evidence as possible. Take pictures of the vehicles involved in the accident as well as the accident scene.
- Contact your insurance company.
- Speak with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
- Don’t panic.
- Don’t leave the scene of the accident until help arrives or you’ve exchanged information with the other driver(s). It can be illegal to immediately leave the scene of an accident in California.
- Don’t accept responsibility for the accident (this includes saying things like “I’m sorry” to the other driver, which may be interpreted as an admission of responsibility).
- Don’t tell anyone you feel “fine” after an accident until you’ve had a doctor check you out.
- Don’t wait to get legal representation.
- Don’t agree to any settlement until you’ve spoken with an attorney.
- Don’t record a statement until you’ve spoken with an attorney.
- Don’t discuss the accident with anyone until you’ve spoken with an attorney.
- Don’t make any social media postings about the accident.
These steps are important to follow after any auto accident in Manhattan Beach, especially if you were injured in the accident. Failing to do so could potentially prevent you from collecting compensation for any accident related injuries.
Call Us After Your Manhattan Beach Auto Accident
If you’ve been injured in an auto accident in Manhattan Beach due to another driver’s negligence, you have the right to seek compensation for the damages caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering, medical expenses and lost wages. For more than 25 years, the law offices of Dinsmore & Sandelmann have been protecting the rights of clients injured in auto accidents in Manhattan Beach, Hawthorne, Redondo Beach, El Segundo, Torrance, Hermosa Beach and other South Bay Communities. Our clients know they can rely on our experience, expertise and dedication to obtain the maximum settlement amount they deserve.
Contact Dinsmore & Sandelmann to schedule a free consultation meeting to discuss your auto accident. Our Manhattan Beach auto accident attorneys are here to learn more about the details of your case, answer any questions you may have and explain your legal options for moving forward. We handle most Manhattan Beach auto accident injury cases on a contingency basis, which means there are no upfront charges for our services and we only collect a fee after we’ve won your case.